In 2015, the Oregon Legislature declared the first Friday of each December as “Oregon Civics Day for Teachers.” To celebrate, Civics Learning Project hosts an educators’ conference on that day every year at the State Capitol in Salem.
The Oregon Civics Conference for Teachers is open to educators at all levels. Each year participants get an insider’s view of all three branches of Oregon government, unique civics teaching strategies, and materials you can apply immediately to your teaching. Before your winter holiday, refresh your mind and your curriculum, connect with teachers from around the state, and spend a day at the Capitol learning new ways to make Civics come alive in your classroom!
Attendees to the Conference earn 7 PDU Hours.
Civic Scholars, nominated by each of Oregon’s 90 legislators, can attend the conference for free and have some expenses — including substitute coverage — paid for!
2018 Oregon Civics Conference
Don’t miss out on these amazing workshops and experts!
- Oregon Supreme Court Chief Justice Martha Walters on last year’s major cases in the state
- Misha Isaak, the Governor’s Counsel on Oregon’s Executive Branch
- Representative Paul Evans on upcoming issues for Oregon’s Legislative Session
- Minority Leader Mike McLane and his co-counsel Ben Becker on defending the free speech rights of a Liberty High School student last year
- Randy Blazak, Chair of the Coalition Against Hate Crime
- Vika Safarian & Sean Lo from the Multnomah County Public Defenders Office on juvenile search and seizure issues in Oregon
- Brad Grenham of the Dept. of the Interior on Oregon’s Land and Water Resource issues
- A panel of experts on current immigration issues for Oregon’s students
And even more workshops including:
- Civics-infused strategies for the elementary classroom
- Place-based teaching strategies
- Project Citizen, including strategies for AVID programs
- How to engage with controversial topics in your classroom
- A tour of the Supreme Court
- and more!
The Oregon Civics Conference has gone digital!
Once you register, be sure to download the eventsXD app on your phone, log in, and search for “Civics Learning Project” – you will then be able to look through the schedule and pick out workshops you’re interested in, see the bios of the speakers, and receive any updates and notices directly from us. We highly recommend you join us through this app to stay updated on all the Conference info!