Each week during the school year, Civics Learning Project provides an in-depth look at a current topic with resources to integrate that issue into your teaching. Each Current Event includes multiple reliable news links, essential questions, Constitutional and civics connections, and lesson ideas for teachers.
CLP program staff choose up-to-the-minute relevant topics, then curate the best-sourced news, vet content to ensure quality and appropriateness for classroom use, and provide insightful essential questions and vocabulary lists that you can use immediately with your students. Additionally, we provide examples of student-centered activities to explore each week’s Current Event topic.
Goals for Current Events
- Promote interest and dialogue about current issues
- Connect current issues and citizenship in a democracy
- Provide reliable, relevant resources to teachers and students
- Encourage civil discussion about the news by asking open-ended, essential questions that reflect democratic values (such as justice, equality, responsibility, participation)
- Stimulate a continuing awareness of local, national, and global events